Monday, January 11, 2010

Happy Birthday to Me

Tomorrow is my birthday, number 62. That used to seem pretty old, but of course it doesn't anymore. Now I can sign up for Social Security whenever I want, but there's no point as long as I'm working. It is 75% at age 62, and 100% at age 66, so I get roughly half a percent more each month I don't get benefits. Isn't that wonderful news? I'll be on the dole! I'll keep working here until we leave, which will be a year and a half or maybe two years, and then maybe I'll apply. It depends on where we go and whether they have any jobs I might want. I'm leaning toward not working, but like I say, it depends.

Tirana is wet -- it's been raining a lot. It reminds me of Seattle -- everything is wet, but it seldom rains hard. That's not been true in the mountains and areas in the north of the country. It has rained extremely hard there, and the hydroelectric dam reservoirs are filled to capacity and they've had to open the floodgates, which has caused much flooding. Two of the major highways to the north are impassable due to flooding. The army has been trying to evacuate people, but resistance to leaving their homes is widespread.

A new USAID person moved in just down the street a week ago, and Taylor has enjoyed the two twelve-year-olds. They have all spent a lot of time together -- they're the first American girls that are sort of her age who have lived in the neighborhood since we've been here.

The Saints-Cardinals game next week might be just like the Packers-Cardinals yesterday -- neither team seems to have a defense, so 55-49 is definitely a possibility. I won't be watching it, though -- 4:30 in New Orleans is 11:30 here, which is past my bedtime. On Armed Forces Network we get a sportscenter show and reruns of games, so I can keep up with them. I did watch some of the Baltimore/New England game, because it came on here at 6:30 or 7.

So far this winter seems much wetter and colder and just all around uncomfortable than last winter. So I'm hoping for an early spring.


No comments: