Saturday, May 24, 2014

Church of Christ the King, Leuca

This is a new church, only about a hundred years old, built in mainly Romanesque style.  It is about 100 meters north of the beach.  It dates from the era of Leuca's mansion building at the turn of the century, meaning 1900.




The mosaic work on the floor is impressive, and because the church is so new, it is in really good condition.  The entire floor is mostly the mosaic scallop pattern, as you can see from some of the other pictures.



The most intriguing thing to me, though, was this little pipe organ.  This was my first view, with the metal and wooden pipes and the closed console.  The console was locked (I was going to see how many registers and stops it had, but they had planned ahead for people like me).







 My second look, being electrified was no surprise, since the supply of little kids willing to keep air in the bellows is in critically short supply.









This is the view that got me -- a serial port?   So is this really a pipe organ or sort of a computerized "player piano" type organ?  I didn't know they made such a thing.  So I googled Consoli, the builder listed on the plaque, and sure enough, they make computer pipe organs.  Who knew?  I'd love to hear it -- would it sound more like Virgil Fox or Robert Moog?



And how can a church that celebrates World Bach Day not be a collection of good people?














No comments: