Friday, January 30, 2009

Attribution

I do not want to deprive a deceased historian of his justified recognition.  My reference in the last post to Marx and Smith is not an original thought.  I read it years ago in a little essay, where it was presented much more intelligently.  Of course I forget the name of the essay and who wrote it.  But I do know for sure the author was a three-name historian.  We used to have those.  Frederick Jackson Turner, Samuel Eliot Morrison, Henry Steele Comager, John Kenneth Galbraith (okay, more economist than historian, but a lot of both).  We're now in a two-name historian rut, like Stephen Ambrose, Barbara Tuchman, Winston Churchill.  

I think the essay was called something like "Short Essay in American History" but I'm probably woefully mistaken.  It may have even been a four-name historian, like A.J.P. Taylor.  

I just don't want to plaguerize, (sp) even with Joe Biden near the White House.

No comments: