Saturday, January 10, 2009

Barcelona II/Tirana



It rained every day in Barcelona, so I ended up not taking many pictures.  The top two are from our hotel room balcony.  Top one is down Carrer Casp, and the second is of Plaza Catalunya.




These bottom three pictures are of the restaurant at the Hotel Espana, where we ate lunch one day.  Lots of enamels and glass, from the late 1800s.  The food was pretty good, too.  It was not from the late 1800s.

The weather was so bad that we mostly stayed inside.  We went to the Miro Foundation Museum and the Picasso Museum, walked down La Rambla to the statue of Christopher Columbus.  There were a lot of after-Christmas sales, and since it was raining, we probably spent more time shopping than usual.  Ditto for museums and churches.  We went to the Barcelona Cathedral, which is a genuine Gothic cathedral, started in 1298. 

We flew back to Tirana Dec. 30, arriving around midnight.  New Year's Eve got pretty loud -- fireworks are pretty popular.  The first few days back at work were a struggle, but I think we're back in the grove.  Taylor got home about an hour ago.  Cindy leaves Monday for Budapest for a conference, gets back Thursday.  Taylor starts back to school Monday.  I leave for DC a week from Monday.  I just got an email yesterday that my class wouldn't start until Wednesday, since Tuesday is inauguration day.  So I guess I'll explore my new neighborhood and see if I can find a grocery store and stock up.

1 comment:

Elisabeth said...

We are so happy that the food was not from the late 1800's! :)